I'm getting better though! My shoes actually have a place in the closet, even if they are never there. And my bedspread is now usually folded neatly at the end of my bed instead of in a jumble from being kicked off during the night.
Now that those admissions are out of the way... there are SOME things that I am actually very particular about. My hanging clothes are one of them (let's just skip over the idea of the clothes in the drawers). The clothes hanging in my closet all face the same direction, and are in order by color, style, and season.
I've just recently conquered my jewelery, and it now falls on the list of things I'm particular about. When something has a place... that's just where it goes!
My movies are in alphabetical order and it bothers me if the DVD isn't right side up, if one is missing, or if two (or more) are switched.
Things in my car are generally organized and clean.
My bathroom is organized. I even have little baskets in the drawers to organize the hair ties, bobby pins, brushes, and other odds and ends.
Okay, you might be wondering what the point of all of this organizational rambling is... Well I'll tell you.
A lot of the past few weeks at the new job have been training. Lots of new vocabulary terms, some not so new but with better definitions. A lot of uncertainty with what my actual job would be once I got settled and learned the ropes a little better. I knew for sure I'd be doing a little of everything when help was needed, and I'm pretty well cross trained by now. I knew that eventually the plan was for me to take over the Supplemental Order process...EVENTUALLY. And then they fired the girl that had been doing that process. Transition time all but disappeared. It, all of the sudden, became much more important for me to get all the other little things out of the way and the idea of good "background" training was gone. I knew I had to really crack down on figuring out the "final" job and get rolling with it so things didn't get too behind.
I'm a pretty hard worker so the timing actually worked out well. I finished helping get things caught up with Jen (my new cubicle buddy and trainer) and we really were ready to roll last Thursday by lunch time. Jen suggested I take a look at the filing for Return of Non-Service... pretty much all the papers that come back when the constable can't find someone to serve them papers (either Supplemental Orders, Bench Warrants, or an Order to Show Cause). This is where the organizational rant comes in...
THIS FILING CABINET WAS A MESS! Seriously. It took me the better part of 3 work days to sort through all of it... and that was with TONS of help. As we went through and alphabetized the file (big enough job in itself) we realized that, because it was so disorganized, all the files would have to be checked just to make sure nothing was getting missed. In doing this check we found that A LOT of extra work had been done, and some work completely neglected because the previous girl either didn't care to look, or couldn't find anything in her mess of a file drawer.
It really isn't that hard is it?! Just take the 5 extra minutes to sort and file things correctly when you get them instead of wasting everyone's time trying to dig through a file system that, in theory, is very efficient, but in practice.... not so much.
I only whine about this because these past 3 work days have made my brain mushy. I've gone cross-eyed trying to figure out this new process and I haven't even really started! I'm totally freaked out that they've given the new girl more than they can handle, and that is something I'm not okay with. I like to do my job well, and frankly, I've set the bar pretty high the past few weeks. My boss even called me a work-a-holic today (which I'm not, so I'm proud to say I have them duped).
I'm hoping that now that things are getting organized they will get easier too. I even went out and bought more organizer things for my desk just to try and help the "I'm drowning in paper" feeling. I'm really TRYING to stay calm....
Ugh, wish me luck... my mushy brain is going to need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment