Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Getting Into the Swing of Things

WARNING: This is yet another post about my new job. :)

I'm finally out of "training mode" at the office and I've really loved the opportunity to do some things on my own. I think I've done this a lot lately but... I'm going to toot my own horn. I really don't think they expected me to just pick things right up and dive in. Our system at work is status based so almost everyone works off of a generated "que". I've been working on some backlogged accounts that need documents attached so they can be submitted to court for default judgement. When I started working yesterday my que consisted of 600+ accounts that needed to be reviewed and have the proper documents attached... the end of today... done! Ha! I'm excited to see what I'll get to work on over the next few weeks.

Friday was court day, as I mentioned, and it went really well. It was a little intimidating at first, but the feeling of "oh wow, I have a career" really hit me when I walked into the court house looking all professional (briefcase included!)

What I've loved the most is getting to interact with some new people. I'm slowly coming out of my shell, and while a lot of my day is spent working on a computer jamming out with headphones in, I really love the office dynamic. There are just so many people to get to know and to work with. I had the typical "Oh, crap I'm the new girl" moment in the break room my first week during lunch, and, instead of a scene from a high school nightmare, someone waved me over to a full table, scooted around to make room for me, and promptly bombarded me with questions.

I'm not a huge fan of the 40 minute commute so there will probably be a move in the near future, but I'm making the best of it. I decided that on my morning drive I wanted to listen to the Book of Mormon. I had NO IDEA that you can download the MP3 from the church website for free! I had to clear off a little room from my iPod but I've LOVED it. I'm not really one for reading out loud and when I do from the scriptures I completely fail at including any inflection and emphasis. I love how listening to the scriptures makes them more of a story. It isn't the same as looking at the words and underlining and cross referencing, but there is DEFINITELY something to be gained from listening (the guy that reads it has the perfect voice for it!)

In other spiritual type news... If you've heard about the big "historical" change the church is making with YSA/Student wards along the Wasatch front, I'm going to be a part of that and I'm actually really excited. I'm sad to say goodbye to some of my ward friends from Bountiful, but it seems like it will be a really awesome change. Plus I'm hoping it will help me get involved in my ward better. I've struggled a bit after my ward change. The 13th ward is HUGE and it's easy to let yourself get lost and blend in. I'm also excited that my little brother, Tyler, has been coming to church with me. He makes a great church buddy... it's so much easier when there is someone there with you... and I love being able to spend time with him.

All in all... those scary changes I decided to make are looking a lot less intimidating from the flip side. (For any of you reading this that listened to President Dunn on Sunday... I think, metaphorically, it's a lot like that).

<3

3 comments:

The Circus said...

when did you start up on your blog again???

Jessica said...

Yay for changes! I am actually learning to love them.

Jessica Tibbitts said...

ha, Steph I started up again awhile back... I needed an outlet so TADA... blog updates fairly regularly :P