Friday, April 12, 2013

Easy Fish and Lemon Rice

Just a little random fact about me... I LOVE seafood. Maybe it's because I grew up in a port city and when we had seafood there it was always delicious and fresh. Maybe it is because that port city was Houston, TX and seafood included delicious Cajun flavors. For sure one of the reasons is that fish is healthy, and the "recipe" I'm going to share makes is EASY.
One of my favorite types of fish is Talapia. I get a big bag of frozen fillets at Costco and it usually keeps me satisfied. Whenever I feel like splurging I'll grab a bag of Mahi Mahi. I've always been VERY happy with Costco seafood, so if you don't buy seafood and are looking to try it, you're safe with Costco. Today is a two for one because one of my cheap quick staple meals is fish, rice and a steamed veggie. When Steve and I first starting dating I made this for him and he was impressed. He didn't eat seafood much before, but this has become a favorite for him. 

Quick Flaky Talapia
What you'll need
Talapia fillets (fresh or COMPLETELY thawed)
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher or Sea salt
Pepper
NON STICK skillet

To make the fish, preheat your non-stick skillet DRY over medium high heat. I have yet to try this method on my nice stainless steel skillets... I keep to my non-stick. If I brave the stainless steel, I'll let you know.
Rinse your fish fillets and pat completely dry.

Brush or rub on some extra virgin olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. I know this seems simple but trust me... this is my absolutely favorite way of preparing Talapia.
 I would recommend picking up some kosher or sea salt if you don't have any. The grains are much more course and pack more flavor.
Your skillet should be nice and hot now. Don't worry about oiling your pan, you've got nicely covered fillets to work with. Put your fillets on the hot skillet. Don't cover them and DO NOT MOVE THEM for 4 minutes. 
 This is what they'll look like at 4 minutes before you flip them. Its hard to see in the picture but the edges are starting to become an opaque white instead of the raw pink.
Flip them over and DON'T MOVE THEM for another 4-5 minutes.

 The fish is done when it is completely opaque and flakes easily all the way through. There have been times when my fish takes a little longer to cook, but you want to make sure it is done through. Every stove top and skillet is different so if you need to adjust the heat settings or time, it doesn't mean you are doing it wrong. This method creates a yummy browned fish that is a little crispy on the outside and deliciously flaky on the inside. Serve immediately with rice and veggies.

Lemon Rice
What you'll need 
(makes 2 LARGE or 4 small servings)
1 C Rice - I prefer Jasmine or Batsmati rice but white rice will work
1 C Water
1 C Chicken broth (I just use bullion) 
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp butter (or margarine)
1/4 tsp dried basil (if you're using fresh herbs you'll need about 1/4 Tbsp)
1/4-1/3 tsp lemon zest (optional)
 Lemon pepper seasoning

Add all ingredients EXCEPT lemonpepper seasoning to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. The rice should simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the moisture has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and sprinkle with lemonpepper. This goes PERFECTLY with fish!

Let me know how these turned out for you or if you have any questions.

ENJOY! 

The fish technique came from my mom's genius mind, and the lemon rice is from food.com












No comments: