Monday, April 8, 2013

Cafe Rio Tomatillo Ranch


Have I mentioned that I love the way that Steve and I have worked out our dinner prep schedule. It is once again Steve's week for dinner and the only thing he asked me to do is make some "Cafe Rio" Tomatillo Ranch dressing for our shrimp tacos tonight. This is one of my favorite dip recipes... so I must share

What you'll need:
1 ranch dressing packet
Mayo/Milk/Sour cream as called for on the ranch packet
1 jalapeno
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 clove garlic
2-3 Tomatillos
Juice of 1 lime (optional)

Put all of the ingredients into the blender and blend until mixed well.
TIPS:
If you want less of a kick to your dressing, seed your jalapeno. I ALWAYS do this! Cut your jalapeno in half length wise and use a spoon to scrape out all of the seeds AND the vein that runs down the middle. This is where are the heat comes from in the pepper.
Cut the stems off of the cilantro. It blends and tastes better
For a healthy twist, substitute greek yogurt for the mayo/milk/sour cream. Trust me, I've tried it and you can't even tell a difference!
(UPDATE: My greek yogurt version did not last as long as the original usually does. It began to separate after about 2-3 days. This isn't unusual for greek yogurt, but if you are planning on storing the "healthy" version, just keep this in mind.")

And many of you are probably wondering what the heck a tomatillo is. That's okay because I was too the first time I made this recipe.


This is a tomatillo. 

You find them in the produce section of the grocery store. I have always bought mine at Smith's and they are usually right by the jalapenos on the top shelf of the cooler. I look for a healthy looking husk and a green tomatillo, not yellow. Look for an even color and no scars or bruises. If you find larger tomatillos you will only need 2, I usually end up using 3. To prep, peel off the husk and wash off the sticky coating on the tomatillo, and cut off the stem. I chop them into fourths and throw them in the blender. If they are larger, cut out the core and the seeds. I usually don't bother because I rarely find large ones that look healthy. I also have a nice blender that chops up the core and seeds rather nicely so that I don't end up with chunks or seeds. It is all down to what works for you.

I almost ALWAYS forget to add lime juice to my blender and while it does add a nice flavor, I can live without the lime.

The longer this sets in the fridge before you serve it, the better the flavors mix and marinate together. Do NOT expect this dressing to thicken up. It will stay pretty runny, just like at Cafe Rio.

This goes great on salad, and tacos and is great with tortilla chips.

ENJOY.

I've had this recipe for a few years now and have no idea where I originally found it. It is NOT my creation so credit goes entirely somewhere else.

No comments: