Thursday, April 18, 2013

Crockpot Cordon Bleu

When I was attending BYU, Cordon Blue day in the cafeteria was beyond exciting. I'm sure they used frozen stuff but it was AMAZING. When I came across this recipe awhile back, I WAS THRILLED and had to try it. It was delicious, plus its a crockpot meal so you really can't get any easier.

What you'll need:
Large crockpot
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 C milk
1/2 ranch packet
3-4 large chicken breasts (or the equivalent in breat halves or tenderloin)
8-10 slices of ham
6-8 slices of swiss cheese
1 box of herbed stuffing

Again, I always use a liner in my crockpot and I highly recommend it.
Mix the cream of chicken soup, milk, and 1/2 the ranch packet together in a small bowl. It doesn't need to be mixed well or smooth. Pour enough of the mixture onto the bottom of the crockpot to cover it will a thin layer.
Add your chicken breasts. I used about 2 1/2 HUGE chicken breasts in my 5 qt. crockpot this morning. They covered the bottom of the crockpot really well.
Pour another thin layer of the soup mixture in.
Lay down a layer of ham, and then a layer of swiss cheese. I just used lunch meat and packaged pre-sliced swiss, but you can get as fancy as you want. The first time I made this I went to the deli and asked for thicker slice nice ham and fancy swiss. You also can't really put too much ham and swiss in your crockpot... they are kind of the best part. If you want it a little cheesier, go for it. If you like more ham, throw it in!
Pour the rest of the soup mixture on top of your layers and then top everything with the dry stuffing mix. For some reason my store doesn't carry "herbed" stuffing so I just used chicken flavor.
The nice thing about this recipe is that if you set your crock pot to high it can be done in just about 3 hours. You should ALWAYS check your chicken to make sure it is done through.
I like this recipe because I threw it together and set it on low and it will be fine sitting there while I'm at work, and be ready to go when Steve and I get home.
Make sure you serve ALL of the layers together. I just cut down with a knife and take a serving, kind of like a casserole. A veggie side and some rolls make a quick and delicious meal. Just think, you could have spend all that time flattening chicken and rolling it up with ham and cheese.... instead, this classic was a CINCH!

ENJOY

I believe this recipe came from allrecipes.com, but in the past I would just write down the recipes I found on a note card (since I didn't have a printer). All I can guarantee is this is NOT one of my own concoctions... because really, how often does that happen?

No comments: