I am going to be so bold as to start out my post with the absolute fact that I have THE MOST amazing mother. I will also admit that this is a completely subjective statement and further explain that my mother is the absolute best woman in the world for the job of being MY mother. There are many of you out there that feel the same way about your mothers, I'm sure.
Let me expound on this idea... the idea that my mom is the best person in the world to be my mom. I have met plenty of amazing women, many who have played motherly roles in my life. There have been teachers, managers, friends' mothers, church leaders, etc that have had huge impacts in my life. There are many friends that I can open up to about parts of my life and those I have learned a lot from. Here's the amazing thing... my mom plays all of these amazing roles all at once. My mom is honestly my best friend. Not just the kind of friend that I like to hang out with occasionally. Here's a confession that may tell a little about my relationship with my mom... If you go back the one of the very first posts here on my blog you see that I was VERY excited to move out. There were a lot of factors for making that decision, one of the major ones being that I needed a social life. I only seldom thought I was a loser for staying home EVERY NIGHT. I had to move out of the house so that I would stop hanging out with my mom every night.
I guess I owe it to genetics that we are so much alike, but that isn't universally true with mother/daughter relationships.
I have so much fun with my mom.
We laugh. We make up words. We joke. We do crosswords. We eat lunch in complete silence because we are both "antisocially" reading a book (often at the recommendation of the other). We watch the same movies over and over and still love them. We dance around to oldies. We talk about life. We talk about boys. We talk about hard things. We share opinions. We get excited about the same things. We are both so insanely odd and find ourselves hilarious.
My mom isn't just my friend. She is my mom. There was a point in the past few rough years that my wake up call came and I realized I needed to sort some things out. A huge part of that epiphany was when I saw how far I had pushed my mom away from me. I didn't want to talk to her because I knew if I did, she would be right. She would tell me all the hard things to hear, and she wouldn't be afraid to say them. She is the person I call when I just need to vent and cry, and she will inevitably say something to make me feel better or snap me out of it. I call her when I cook, and to all who have complemented me on my delicious desserts... they are all her recipes. I've had people ask me, surprised, "Where did you learn that?"... UM MY MOM, DUH!
My mom is amazing. She is brave and strong and has taught be how to be the same. She continues to be my therapist, confidant, teacher, and best friend. I couldn't be more grateful.
Love you Mom!
4 comments:
I love your mommy too!!! Good post. I'd have to argue that my mom is the best, though. ;) haha I think that because they are sisters, they are probably pretty equal.
Aw... Thank you Jessie. Sniff sniff. You are amazing, and I love you more than life!
I love your mom too! She sure is a special lady :) More than she knows I'm sure!
Cute Jess! Enjoy those times with your mom!
Post a Comment