I've always considered myself a pretty patriotic person but I feel like yesterday was a little different for me. I kept having these lightning bolt moments of feeling free and American... I even teared up a few times. Let me share.
On the way up to my parents house, driving with the windows down (as I always do in the summer) I heard over my blasting music "the sound of freedom" as my mom calls it. It was a fly over from Hill AFB probably heading into the valley for a parade. I LOVE the sound of a jet overhead and I've been really lucky to hear it all the time.

Of course there were a few moments at the parade. I was SO proud to see the wave of people standing as the color guard lead the parade with the Stars and Stripes and I was so proud to stand with them.
This isn't an uncommon experience for me, but as the trucks full of veterans came
down the parade route I got tears in my eyes. There was even one old man on the truck "Navy Veterans" who was totally decked out in his obviously old uniform and I was proud to be American because of him. I have such a deep respect for those brave enough to fight and sacrifice for my country. This is a feeling that has grown much deeper as I've come to know some amazing soldiers and their families. I can honestly say I've never met stronger, braver people. I've seen their sacrifice and I am AMAZED.
(Sorry, this is totally random but I LOVE this picture... there are so many generic soldier pictures out there to be Googled but these men, as well as so many others I'm lucky enough to have met, are amazing)
And then there was the BBQ and the fireworks and all of the other festivities. Goofing off, losing at volleyball, eating burgers, watching my brother-in-law show my 3 yr old nephew the fun of lighting fireworks, and being with my family.
I am SO thankful to be American. I am thankful most of all that I can believe what I choose. I am free to pray. I am free to worship where I will. I'm free to share what I believe.
I am free.
1 comment:
Amen! That is all... Amen!
Post a Comment