Sunday, June 9, 2013

Baked Parmesan Zucchini and Yellow Squash

Here is one of mine and Steve's favorite "sides"...and in the continued efforts to keep this blog, and my mind, on healthy foods, its VEGGIES. But really, these are so yummy. I kind of cheat on this one and load up on the cheese, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't ruin the healthiness too much.

What you'll need
Zucchini
Yellow Crookneck Squash
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder (optional)
Parmesan cheese (fresh or powdered)
baking sheet

Preheat your oven to 400*, and while it preheats, cut up your squash into disks. I like mine a little bit on the thicker side, but it doesn't really matter how thin you cut them. Drizzle the pan with olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper over. (Yes, you just seasoned a pan). Put your squash disks on the baking sheet and drizzle with a little more olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and garlic powder. Make sure you don't use too much olive oil, you really just need a little bit. I've also started using "extra light" tasting olive oil, and I think my recipes have turned out better. Also, I really prefer the garlic, but it still turns out delicious if you leave it out. NOTE: You are more than welcome to stop at this point and keep this SUPER healthy. The squash will be delicious whether or not you add the cheese, and this really is my favorite way to cook squash. I haven't steamed them since I first tried this. If you decide to add THE BEST PART, sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over the entire pan of squash. I've liked how fresh parmesan melts and bubbles, but the powdered/canned stuff works just fine, and still gets kind of melty and adds the yummy flavor.

Put the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes or so. The first time you do this you'll want to keep an eye on it because it really will depend on how thin you cut your squash. You really won't overdo these, but you don't want to burn them (especially if you've added cheese). I usually will open the oven and stick a fork into one piece to make sure they are tender. Steve and I usually fight over who gets the crispy burned cheese from the pan, and we both keep an eye on the other so that we get our fair share because they are so yummy.

ENJOY!

This recipe was found on pinterest and read over once. Yet again I forgot to pin it, so I just kind of made it up from what I remembered, and have tweaked it until its just how I like it.

No comments: