Anxiety is part of creativity, the need to get something out, the need to be rid of something or to get in touch with something within.
I found this quote and it struck a cord. A lot of my posts lately have mentioned or implied stress and anxiety... understandable, I think, with all the changes in my life. It's all self imposed but there has definitely been some anxiety. I read this though and it just makes sense.
Over the past 6 months or so I've felt this weird surge of creativity.
I say weird because, let's be honest, I'm a left brain person. I'll be the first to admit that.
I'm a nerd.
A science geek.
I have a weirdly retentive memory.
I rarely do anything creative. Well, I rarely FINISH anything creative.
I usually give up half way through when I run out of creativity juices. If I even make it half way.
I see my friends post things that usually go something like this "This inspired me and this is what I came up with." I'm 100% amazed 100% of the time.
But lately... I have this weird urge to create.
I've wanted to do sowing projects. I've done crafts. I've learned how to make little cutesy things. I painted my bedroom... with an accent wall. Actually the entire vision for my room has come together. My bedspread matches the walls, and accessories, and there's even a painting on the wall. I'm going all out decorating my cubicle for Halloween (and while one could argue it isn't creative because I'm drawing from my nerdy science side for inspiration... it is actually creative!) I've taken more pictures. I've followed through.
The point is... it feels really good. It feels good to FINISH something, and, even when it isn't perfect, be able to look at it and go "Hey, I made that. I'm awesome!"
I may even have the courage to dig out my old unfinished T-shirt quilt and finally sow it all together. Just in time for winter :)
1 comment:
I want to make a t-shirt quilt...let's have a quilt party! (man that makes me sound old...)
Post a Comment