Saturday, March 26, 2011

Put Up A Fight

Have you ever fought for something? I'm talking REALLY FOUGHT for something. Have you ever just let something slip by and later had regrets that you just sat back and watched it go? Have you ever felt something slipping away and realized that you thought you would fight for it and now that you're facing the battle, you just can't muster up the courage to do anything?

The concept has been on my mind a lot lately, as you could probably tell. I've tried to think of a story where someone didn't fight, or fought and lost. Stories like Les Mis stick out... a group of people who by most accounts were right. They fought for freedom and country and put everything they had into their cause. And they died. They lost. Would it have better for them to have not been at the barricades? What would they have felt if they had lived, but not fought at all?

I've thought myself dizzy. I can see both sides of the argument and can't seem to pick one. I won't say there aren't things is life worth fighting for, there are for sure... some things are so starkly black and white there is no need to even consciously pick a side. It's those grey confusing battles that are so hard to jump into. Is this really worth it? Is there even a chance I would win? Am I deluded into thinking that a fight would make a difference? Is the fight even mine to join?

See why I'm so stuck on the concept?

1 comment:

MBurt said...

If you already knew which side one would it be easier to pick a side?
I heard this in relation to the gospel today and found it thought provoking. We already know who wins, The Savior, yet we struggle to choose a side.
Seems a little retarded when you think of it like that. We all want to be on the winning side, so why is it so hard?
More food for thought.