If this were a video it would be me doing a happy dance. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I work at Smith's. It has been a good job for me, especially when I was in school because my manager, Rachel, was awesome about being flexible with my schedule. These people that know me also know that I have been craving a 9-5 job for awhile now. Mostly because I really (really, really) would like my social life back and it is really hard to have a social life when
1) you can't really plan ahead schedule wise because you don't have a set schedule
2) your random schedule may include shifts such as 4:30 pm to 12:30 am.
Whatever the reasons, I've been secretly looking for a new job on and off for awhile. Nothing had fallen into place quite the way I wanted, mostly because I've been extremely picky and I have mostly only entry level type qualifications. I had really hoped to find something in the Criminal Justice field but as I had to take a break with only my Associates there wasn't anything really in forensics that I was qualified for.
Last week I started talking with Anna (Funcundo) Badger about a job opening with the company she works for in Sandy, and I started getting excited again about finding a job that would work for my social, financial, and other such goals. I sent in my resume, and got a call Monday morning that they would like to set up an interview. (The excitement starts to build) I also got a message from my dad that my uncle was looking for someone to work a receptionist type job at his corporate office/warehouse in North Salt Lake. I called both places back, and set up an interview with Burt Brothers Tire (my uncle's company) that day, and Medsource (Anna's hook up) yesterday. I was slightly nervous because it's been awhile since I've had any kind of interview, but both went well and I was offered BOTH jobs. I was totally stunned to have two jobs basically fall into my lap when things have been to difficult the past few months. When the time is right I guess! And I think this is Heavenly Father's way of saying "See you still have a choice because I'm not going to do ALL the work for you" and for that I am so grateful but I still had the choice in front of me and I had to make a decision pretty quickly.
So the choices were...
Burt Brothers
- closer to home, decent pay, 8-5 on weekdays (NO sundays or holidays!)
or
Medsource
-farther away, also decent pay, temp-to-hire, regular working hours
To be honest, it didn't take much thinking. I always say that I'm ready to move out of my parent's basement, (yeah I know, you don't have to say anything) but the rent free aspect is way too appealing when you are trying to save money. So I picked the one closer to home with Burt Brothers.
I gave my two weeks notice at Smith's today and the general reaction was "Oh lame! Good for you, but that sucks for us" and I have to say... THANK YOU MY SMITH'S FRIENDS. You guys are so awesome. I really have made some awesome friends at Smith's and that is the one reason that I'm going to be sad to leave. I've gone through a lot with you guys, and you have all helped and supported me through a lot. I know that you say it isn't the same but... I WILL visit. I do actually shop there too.
So bascially, I AM SO EXCITED! LIFE IS GOOD!! I'm excited to get started with this new job and get trained and get into a good rhythm. Keep your fingers crossed that I can make it through my two weeks AND keep my cool with certain people that will remain unnamed (but you all know who I'm talking about anyways). I am also so glad that this happened so quickly and smoothly and there is little to no stress involved (yeah I'm slightly stressed about telling Rachel because she is awesome and I hate to make her job harder by leaving her yet another checker short).
P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIERA! (I know it isn't until tomorrow but as it is too much to hope for me bloging two days in a row, you get your birthday wishes early)
2 comments:
I am so sad to see you leave but I really am super happy for you! Super jealous at the same time! I know I will see you often cause you come shopping all the time. And you have become one of the best friends a girl could ask for.. even if my husband "doesn't know you." I love you Jess and will miss working with you for sure!
thanks for the early birthday wishes :) also for coming to my Birthday dinner! I'm going to miss you too even though I don't work there. I always enjoyed talking to you when I went to see my Hubby. You will have to keep in touch with me. Good luck with the new job!!
Post a Comment