Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Lemon-Dill Shrimp & Pasta

This is one of Steve's favorite recipes, and we've made it a few times in the past month so I thought I'd share. I found the original recipe here.

What You'll Need
12 oz Medium shrimp (peeled, de-veined)
1 lemon (zest and then juice)
8 oz dried pasta
2 Tbsp Olive Oil (I use extra-light flavor)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced or thin sliced (I use bottled)
6 C baby spinach
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and/or dill
Salt and Pepper to taste
Large skillet
zester or fine grater

Cook pasta according to directions. I usually use a whole wheat fettuccine. I REALLY love the flavor of whole wheat pasta. If you haven't tried it... DO IT!
Zest and juice your lemon. Reserve 2 Tbsp of juice. I've used bottled juice and it works fine, but fresh will always taste better. If
In a large skillet (I'm serious, use a large one!), heat your olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic for a minute or so. Be careful not to burn it! Add your shrimp and cook until the shrimp are opaque (about 4-5 minutes). Turn the shrimp frequently to cook evenly and avoid burning. I cheat here and just thaw some pre-cooked shrimp from Costco and warm it up in the skillet. Makes a quick meal even quicker and is very economical.
Add the cooked pasta and spinach. I know it seems like a LOT of spinach, but it really does need the whole 6 cups. Stir in the skillet until the spinach begins to wilt. You'll want to keep an eye on it so you don't turn your spinach to mush. Add the 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and zest, season with salt and pepper and Italian seasonings, and dill. Stir to coat and serve hot. I've left off the dill, and it is still delicious... so if you don't like dill you can leave it out.

This is such a yummy light but filling meal. This recipe makes about 4 servings at 359 calories per serving (and that's using regular pasta).

ENJOY!

No comments: