Monday, October 28, 2013

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Now that I've tried this recipe a few times... it's time to share! This is SO extremely easy, and I got a ton of compliments when I took some to a neighborhood pot luck this weekend.

What you'll need:
Dough
Kitchen Aid w/ beater and dough hook
2 c warm water
2/3 c nonfat dry milk powder
2 Tbsp dry yeast
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter (melted)
1 egg
4 1/2- 5 c all purpose flour
9x13 pan
cooking spray
plastic wrap
jumbo muffin liners

Filling
3 Tbsp Butter
1 C Brown Sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
raisins (optional)
nuts (optional)

Frosting Frosting Directions
1 stick unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
milk

In the kitchen aid with a beater attachment (beater, not whisk), mix the water and milk powder til combined. Add the sugar, salt, yeast, egg and butter. Make sure the water and butter aren't too hot or you'll kill your yeast... trust me, I learned the hard way. If you melt the butter in your microwave, just let it sit for a minute before pouring it into the mix. I use instant "Bread Maker" yeast, just because that is always what I have on hand. Keep in mind that this recipe calls for a large amount of yeast. A packet contains about 2 TEASPOONS, and this recipe calls for 2 TABLESPOONS. If you're using the packets, you'll need all three that come in the strip together. Stir the ingredients together til they are mixed pretty good, just a few seconds on low.
Add 2 cups of flour and mix on low or "stir" setting until the ingredients are wet and then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Switch to your dough hook attachment.
Add 2 more cups of four and mix on low until wet, and then 2 minutes at medium speed.
Add 1/2 cup flour again, mixing on low speed until wet, then 2 minutes at medium speed.
Dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff.
If your dough is still too wet, add the additional 1/2 c of flour, mixing on low until wet and medium for 2 minutes.
Scrape the sides of the bowl so the dough is in a lump at the bottom. Pour 1 Tbsp of vegtable or canola oil around the sides of the bowl to keep it from sticking while it rises. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and cover the bowl.
Let the dough rise ONCE until it fills the bowl. It usually takes about 1 hour to rise completely.
Turn the dough out onto an oiled or floured surface. You can flour your surface instead, but I prefer to use oil.
At this point the dough is PERFECT for dinner rolls. It is VERY easy to work with, and not too sticky or elastic.

While your dough is rising you can mix together your 1/3 C melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Roll the dough out into an even rectangle that is about 12 in x 18 in. and sprinkle your cinnamon mixture in an even layer on top of the dough, leaving about 1/2 in on each of the long sides (this helps keep the rolls together in a swirl later.) At this point you can sprinkle some raisins or some nuts into your rolls as well, but I'm a purist, so I just add the cinnamon and sugar. You can use whatever mixture you like to fill your rolls, but I prefer brown sugar to white. Don't be bashful, if you don't think there's enough sugar, make more!

Roll the dough from the long side carefully into a log, and press the end into the log to keep it from unrolling. Cut into 1 1/2-2 inch thick rolls. I usually stick to 1 1/2 inches and it makes almost 2 full pans of deliciousness. 

Here's a cinnamon roll trick I learned from my mom. Use a piece of string or floss to cut your rolls by sliding it under the log, pulling the ends up, and crossing. Makes a great cut without squishing things. Here's a little clip to show you how.
Cutting Rolls with String

Bake the rolls in a greased pan at 375* for 15-20 minutes. They do NOT get very brown so don't use that as a gauge of how done they are. You can also bake these in a jumbo muffin tin or MY favorite way is to just slip them into jumbo muffin liners and use a 9x13 pan. guaranteed no sticking! (My cousin Morgan gets credit for that amazing idea.) 
 
Top these with your favorite glaze or frosting and ENJOY. 

Leave any questions or success stories in comments!

I found the dough recipe  here

No comments: