Monday, February 10, 2014

Almond Meringue Kisses

I made these yummy little low calorie treats for a girl's day a few weeks ago and I've honestly been craving them since. I found them here, and didn't tweak it at all, but definitely have a few tips...

What you'll need
2 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c sugar or sugar substitute (follow package instructions to use equivalent to 1/2 c sugar)
parchment paper or piping bag
large closed star tip
2 cookie sheets
parchment paper for lining

Let egg whites stand in bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 300*. (Tip one: when the recipe says 300*, pay attention. If you set your oven at 350*, YOU WILL BURN THEM. Yeah I know this is a given, but sometimes I don't pay attention). Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.

For those of you unfamiliar with parchment paper, this used to be terrible to find, but now you can find Reynolds brand by the foil at the grocery store. You can also find it at bakery supply stores (for those of you in Utah, check Orson Gygi or Baker's Cash-n-Carry). I've also had luck asking for the grocery store bakery to sell it to me per sheet... that will depend on management though.

Add almond extract, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat with electric miser on medium to high speed until soft peaks form. Soft peaks = curled tips. Careful here, you don't want to over beat your meringue. Combine sugar and cornstarch in separate bowl and slowly add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture (SLOWLY, as in 1 tbsp at a time slowly), while beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stiff peaks = tips stand straight.

Prepare your piping bag with the closed star tip. I only had an open star tip and mine did not turn out very fancy looking. They tasted great, but when I make these again I'll be stopping for a new piping tip. Pipe 1 1/2 inch kisses on cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake on separate oven racks for 12 minutes. After twelve minutes, turn of the oven and leave the door closed for 1 hour. This hour is drying time and prevents your kisses from being gooey and lets them set. After 1 hour, remove the cookie sheets from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

After they are cooled you can you a clean food brush (or NEVER USED paint brush) to brush on some luster dust or coco powder.

Store in a single layer in an air tight container. If you live in humid weather, make sure you seal these up quickly or they will become tacky.

Want to know the best part about these? If you use sugar, they are only 13 calories each! If you use a sugar substitute (such as Splenda) they are 9 calories each. They a such a yummy sweet crunchy treat. They were a hit at my girls day and would be a great little treat for a shower or an open house.

I'd really like to experiment with extract flavors on this one. I personally love almond, but I may like to try peppermint or vanilla!

ENJOY!

No comments: