Friday, March 15, 2013

Green Enchiladas

I've decided that my blog needs to turn into something more interesting and useful than my everyday ramblings. I'm going to start sharing some of my favorite things... recipes  projects, tips & tricks... whatever. A LOT of these are pinterest successes, but I figure someone has to try them and find out if they work. So I'm going to try and tell.

First, a little everyday rambling. Steve and I have been adjusting to married life rather fantastically. Mostly we are really great at compromising. One of our very early compromises was that we would take turns with dinner. I've LOVED this for two reasons. One, Steve is an excellent cook and it is great to sit back and let him worry about grocery shopping and planning for a whole week and not have to eat mac n' cheese. Two, it has made be work up the courage to try some new recipes on my week. I've tried to be a little bit better at planning out a week to use up leftovers and make shopping efficient. Last week on Monday I threw some chicken in the crock pot for quick and easy tacos, and knew I would have leftovers to try a recipe for enchiladas. I thought that we might not love the enchiladas after having had tacos earlier in the week, but these we AMAZING. Wish I could claim it was because of my amazing skills, but really this is just a very easy, simple recipe that is just straight up yummy.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
2 Tbs Butter
2 Tbs Flour
1/3- 1/2 C Milk
1 C Verde (Green Chili) Salsa
Chicken or beef for filling
2-3 C shredded Mexican blend cheese
8-10 burrito size flour tortillas
foil
9x13 pan
small sauce pan
whisk

GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE
Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat
Add Butter and let melt (I watch it and whisk it as it melts so it doesn't burn)
Add Flour whisk until completely mixed with butter and it begins to bubble
Slowly add milk - the more milk you add, the runnier your sauce will be. I usually stick to around 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup, but this recipe is very forgiving so don't be afraid to play around with it. You can also change the ratio of milk to verde depending on how strong of a flavor you like. 
Keep whisking until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
Add the Verde. Again, I usually add about one cup, but the more you add, the runnier your sauce will be so don't be afraid to adjust this measurement.
OPTIONAL: I have added some cream cheese to this recipe in the past and it makes for a nice creamy sauce. I put a few tablespoons in after the verde and let it melt and mix in before I turned the heat down.
Your sauce is all set! I usually turn the burner down to LOW and let it sit on the stove while I prepare the rest of my dinner, but it won't hurt to pull it off and let it cool down.

Grease your 9x13 pan, and add a thin layer of your sauce to the bottom to make sure your enchiladas don't stick.
Put some meat down the center of a tortilla, add a little cheese and roll your enchilada. Line the enchiladas in your pan. I usually get about 8 in a pan, but it all depends on how full you make them.
For this recipe I used my left over crockpot taco chicken. (That recipe will come later) You can use whatever you'd like but I'd recommend something with some bulk to it instead of ground beef. You can also add whatever you like inside your tortillas. I like to add toppings to my enchiladas instead of filling.
Once your pan is full, pour your sauce over the tortillas, top with cheese, and cover with foil. Bake in a 375* oven for 25-30 minutes or until all your cheese is melted and the enchiladas a warm through. Everything in this recipe is cooked, so you're really just warming everything up.

TADA! Super easy recipe with little clean up. I serve my enchiladas with lettuce, sour cream, sliced olives, avocado, diced tomato, and cheese. You can add whatever other toppings you like! These make GREAT leftovers, and keep in the fridge well for 2-3 days.

I love this recipe because it is pretty much fool proof and is very flexible.

Hope you like it!

(The credit for this recipe goes to trial and error. It is a basic white sauce that I twisted to my own uses.)


No comments: